Pages

Friday, November 27, 2009

Dear Joe Silva,

I know you're busy trying to patch up these upcoming shows given all the recent injuries, ailments, etc... so I decided I'd help you do a bit of matchmaking. I'll be looking for my check in the mail.

Tito Ortiz vs. Brandon Vera
C'mon Joe, don't give Tito a coaching gig on the eleventh season of TUF. To me, Tito knows he is past his prime and the coaching gig is his ticket to prolong his last stint in the UFC as long as possible. From a business sense, Tito (and Jenna) are being very smart about this: Collect a fatty paycheck coaching on TUF, build "hype" toward Tito vs. Forrest 3, then see how the stars align from that point on.

I myself am sick of Tito's antics, excuses, and posturing. I honestly don't give a shit if this rubber match with Forrest ever happens and I damn well know that the UFC would never build a PPV card with this fight as the main event. Maybe a "Free on Spike" event, but not a PPV. Tito's return left a lot of fans turned off, especially once Tito started spouting the same old injury excuses and claims of robbery by the judges after the 2nd fight with Forrest.... (Oh weird Tito, I didn't see your name or your cracked skull anywhere on the NSAC medical suspensions released last week).

So Tito, you claim you've come back for one last run at the title? Well then take this recent loss, identify the mistakes and voids in your game, and start training for your next fight. You don't get to ride this one out, you're back to fight (that's what you wanted, right?)

Tito vs. Vera would give each fighter the opportunity to truly prove that one of them belongs in the title hunt. Both fighters coming off "controversial" losses, both fighters would face a massive setback in terms of contender status with a loss to the other. This is a put up or shut up fight for the ages, which will truly show where each fighter is in their career. I will admit that I'm a Vera nut-hugger, but he's left me wanting in his last few fights. I would gladly cheer the winner of this this fight and tell the other to pack it up and head back home. Only if the the true warriors in each come out that is...

Dustin Hazelett vs. Matt Brown or Paulo Thiago
Dustin Hazelett deserves a great matchup, considering the unfortunate turn of events prior to UFC 106. I feel that pairing Dustin up with Matt Brown would make for a solid fight. I'd predict this fight to start off with fireworks at the beginning, working towards a grappling exhibition towards the later rounds. One major hurdle for pairing these two up is that Matt Brown was medically suspended for 180 days (at most) after UFC 105 for a possible right hand injury. However, Hazelett has mentioned on MMAJunkie Radio that he will take some time off from training camp over the holidays to visit his family back in Kentucky. If Matt Brown's injury proves to be not as serious, I feel this matchup would be a great test for each fighter.

But say Matt Brown gets his wish to be Renzo Gracie's warm up fight, well then I would want Hazelett matched up with Paulo Thiago. This would be a very strong test for Hazelett at this point in his career, and might even make more sense from a time and "level of fighter" standpoint. Hazelett has much a very underrated standup game and could truly put Thiago's jiu jitsu black belt to the test if the fight went to the ground.

I'd also like to see Hazelett face Mike Swick as well. Some may see this as a "too soon" fight for Dustin, but I have always thought that Mike Swick was just slightly overrated and that Dustin would prove a formidable foe for this AKA veteran. And of course, I'd love to see Hazelett-Koscheck II at some point. Their first meeting has made my top 20 favorite fights in the UFC.


Anyways Joe, let me know what you think and we'll talk in the morning.

-Andy from Minneapolis

No comments:

Post a Comment